Post graduation in the field of Pediatric Dentistry involves training in the unique dental health needs of children. Their specialized training consists of child psychology, growth and development, management of oro-facial trauma, sedation and general anesthesia.
The department is committed to clinical excellence and has incorporated the latest advances in technology to best treat patients. The VDW Silver Rotary endodontic system, the Xact Radiovisiograph and the state of the art Nitrous oxide inhalation sedation unit are some of the latest acquisitions.
Nitrous oxide inhalation sedation is a simple, predictable and safe mode of relative analgesia, which helps in pharmacological management of child behavior in the dental office. The induction of analgesia is spontaneous and recovery instantaneous with relatively high documented safety levels.
is to impart comprehensive oral health care to infants and children including special children in a child friendly environment. to train the students achieve clinical excellence and be one of the best professionals globally.
Professor and Head
Dr. B. M. Shanthala, completed BDS in the year 1992 and MDS in 1994 from ABSMIDS, Mangalore. Currently she is working as Head of Department and Post Graduate Guide in the Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry and has several ongoing projects. She has presented papers in international conferences and also was an invited guest speaker in 8th International Conference and Exhibition in Dentistry and Oral care, Dubai, UAE.
Dr. BOBBY WILSON
Dr. Bobby Wilson completed his BDS from KGF College of Dental Sciences, KGF in 1998 and his MDS in 2010 from Coorg Institute of Dental Sciences, Virajpet. Currently he is working as a Reader and Post Graduate Guide in the Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry and has several ongoing projects.
Dr. SRINIVAS L.S.
Dr. Srinivas L.S completed his BDS from JSS Dental College and Hospital, Mysore in 2001 and his MDS in 2012 from SRDC, Bangalore. Currently he is working as a Reader and Post Graduate Guide in the Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry and has several ongoing projects.
DR. NAVANEETHA CUGATI
Dr. Navneetha Cugati, completed her BDS in the year 2003 from ABSMIDS, Mangalore and her MDS in the year 2007 from Yenepoya Dental College & Hospital, Mangalore. Currently she is working as a Reader and Post graduate guide in the Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry and has several ongoing projects.
Dr. SRINIDHI BHATT
Dr. LEKSHMI R. SURESH
Dr. Lekshmi R. Suresh, completed BDS in the year 2011 and MDS in 2016 from ABSMIDS, Mangalore. She is currently working as a Senior lecturer in the Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, and has several ongoing research projects.
- Silver Amalgam Restorations
- Nanoionomeric Glassionomer Restorations
- Composite Restorations
- Complex Restorative Procedures
- Stainless steel restorations
- Strip crowns and Polycarbonate crowns
Pulp therapy Procedures:
- All post graduates are trained extensively in these procedures to manage any complications during any of the pulp therapy and root canal treatment procedures.
- Post endodontic Procedures (Post & Cores)
- Prefabricated fibre posts & metal posts
The students are trained in the diagnosis and treatment planning of all procedures leading to management of traumatic injuries of teeth. We see a lot of sporting injuries, and we treat close to 15- 20 cases of sporting injuries annually.
Minor Surgical Procedures:
- Strip crowns
- Polycarboxylate crowns
- Anterior esthetic space maintainers
- Management of discolored teeth
- Correction of malformed teeth
- Management of fractured teeth
- Replacement of avulsed (knocked out) teeth.
- Space regainers
- Management of developing crossbites
- Management of oral habits
- We are providing oral health care in special centers, Swastha, Cheshire Home and Kodagu Vidyalaya from 2007.
- Formulated guidelines on 'Comprehensive Oral Health Care for the Special Children' under the aegis of Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry.
- Started a non-profit non-government organization “SAHAAYA” to support the needs of special children.
- Formulation of the new medicament-formocresol gel (received both national and international patency in the year 2009).
- Dr. Ajay Reddy, Best paper presentation at the 29th Annual National conference ISPPD held at Bangalore in 2007.
- Second best poster was awarded to the post graduates by ISPPD in the year 2007 at the 29th annual national conference, Bangalore.
- Study on ICON was accepted as scientific data by DMG Company.
- Dr. Elaine Baretto, invited to attend National level PG student symposium conducted on September 2011 at Delhi.
- Karnav Patel, awarded for securing a university rank in Pedodontics in the year 2011.
- Chittiiappa M.C., Best paper in the first state level undergraduate convention in Bapuji Dental College, Davangere, 2010.
- A charity programme was organized to aid in the treatment of a child suffering from Infantile Malignant Osteopetrosis and collected funds under the banner of “POOJA TREATMENT FUND” .
- Dr. Julia Okram, Third prize for poster presentation in Original Research Competition category in 11th National P.G. Convention, 2014.
- Dr. Korath Varkey and Dr. Julia Okram, Best table clinic award at the 36th ISPPD conference held at Lucknow, October 2014.
- Dr. Princy Prasad, First place for best scientific poster at International conference at ABSMIDS, Mangalore, held on 15th, 16th, and 17th Oct 2015.
- Shanthala BM, Reddy MA. Histological Evaluation of Diode Laser Pulpotomy in Dogs. J Oral Lasers Appl. 2010; 10(1): 7-16.
- Sheen AJ, Shanthala BM, Narasimha VR. Salivarius K12 as a probable probiotic. Res J Pharma Biol Chem Sci. 2013; 4(4): 1056-61
- Ganna PS, Ansari A, Shanthraj SL, Mallikarjuna R. A simplified technique for bend backs in lingual orthodontics. BMJ case rep 2013, doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-009769.
- Mallikarjuna R, Gangwal RR, Shanthraj SL, Dave B. Report of gutkha (Smokeless tobacco) use in children aged 10-12 years. BMJ Case Rep 2013, doi: 10.1136/bcr-2012-008319.
- Sethi N, Shanthraj SL, Muraleedharan M, Mallikarjuna R. Modified Nance Palatal Arch appliance for anterior tooth replacement. BMJ Case Rep 2013, doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-009736.
- Kiran S, Bargale SD, Sikligar S, Shanthraj SL. Bizarre case for avulsion of permanent maxillary lateral incisor tooth. BMJ Case Rep 2013, doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-10143.
- Chandru TP, Shanthala BM. Ellis Van Crevald syndrome – A case report. APSDJ 2013; 6(3):91-4
- Savitha KC, Srinivas LS. Occlusal Schemes for Complete Dentures – A Review article. Bhavnagar University J Dent. 2013;3(1):67-72.
- Shashidara R, Jayanth BS, Aparna HG, Kavitha AP. Lymphoepithelial cyst of the submental region- A case report and review of literature. RGUHS J Dent Sci 2012; 4(2): 94-98.
- Aparna S, Srirangarajan S, Malgi V, Setlur KP, Shashidhar R, Setty S, Thakur S. A Comparative Evaluation of the Antibacterial Efficacy of Honey In Vitro and Antiplaque Efficacy in a 4-Day Plaque Regrowth Model In Vivo: Preliminary Results. J Periodontol 2012; 83(9): 1116-1121.
- Kallianpur S, Sudheendra US, Kasetty S, Joshi P. Dens Invaginatus (Type IIIb). J Oral Maxillofac Pathol, May-Aug 2012; 16 (2): 262- 5.
- Kasetty S, Khan S, Sudheendra US, Gupta S, Tijare M, Kallianpur S, Ragavendra TR. Cancer therapy: A continuance of health burden. World J Oncol 2012; 3(5): 205-209.
- Sheen AJ, Shanthala BM. Potential erosive effects of antihistamine containing syrup on primary teeth. African J Med Health Sci. 2014;1(13): 15-18.
- Babu G, Mallikarjun S, Wilson B, Premkumar C. Pit and fissure sealants in pediatric dentistry. SRM J Res Dent Sci. 2014;5(4):253-257.
- Wilson B, Joseph J, Bharadwaj P, Kaushik PC. Space management in pediatric dentistry. J Dent Panacea. 2014;1(2): 68-76.
- Sheen AJ, Shanthala BM, Narsimha Rao VV “Potential erosive effects of antihistamine syrup on primary teeth” Lambert Academic Publishing, 2015, Germany.
- Shanthraj SL, Mallikarjun SB, Kiran S, Wilson B. ‘Triplication’ defects in deciduous teeth: an unusual odontogenic anomaly. BMJ Case Rep 2015.Doi: 10.1136/bcr-2014-205185.
- Manju M, Shantharaj SL, Savitha KC, Sethi N. Esthetic and biologic mode of reattaching incisor fracture fragment utilizing glass fibre post. J Nat Sci Biol Med. 2015;6(2):446-448.
- Vanishree HS, Shanthala BM, Bobby W. The comparative evaluation of fracture resistance and microleakage in bonded amalgam, amalgam, and composite resins in primary molars. Indian J Dent Res 2015; 26:446-50.
- Savitha KC, Shantharaj SL. Combination syndrome: An update. Int J Contemp Dent Med Rev. vol. 2015, Article ID 100115, 2015.
- Bharadwaj P, James AR, Wilson B. Sequelae of Trauma to the Primary Dentition and its Consequences on the Permanent Successor. J Multi Dent Res. 2015; 3(1): 44-48.
- Shanthala BM, Wilson B, Harris A. Diode Laser Applied Fluoride Therapy in Prevention of Dental Caries. 2016, Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Uddin S, Muddaiah S, Shanthala BM, Okram J. Multidisciplinary approach in the management of complicated crown fracture: A Case Report. Int J Oral Care Res. 2016;4(3):220-223.
- Suresh L. Knowledge, attitude and practices of oral and personal hygiene to prevent communicable diseases among students in and around the city of Mangalore. An epidemiological survey. Nitte University J Health Sci. 2016;6(2):35-39.
- Shanthala BM, Wilson B, Joppan S, Srihari Current Uses of Diode Lasers in Dentistry. Otolaryngol (Sunnyvale). 2017,7:295. doi:10.4172/2161-119X.1000295.
- Chandy S, Joseph K, Shankaranarayanan A, Issac A, Babu G, Wilson B, Joseph J. Evaluation of C - reactive protein and Fibrinogen in Patients with Chronic and Aggressive Periodontitis: A Clinico-Biochemical Study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017;11(3):ZC41-ZC45.
- Hosted 9th National PG convention, ISPPD, 2012.
- CDE Programme: in association with IDA Coorg branch on ‘Nitrous oxide Inhalation Sedation’ on February 2013.
- Workshop: ‘Basic life support’ on 26th October 2013.
- CDE Programme: ‘Nitrous oxide-oxygen inhalation Sedation in Pediatric Dentistry’ on 5th and 6th April 2014.
- Workshop: ‘Basic Life Support’ was organized on 25th October 2014.
- Symposium: 1st National ISPPD symposium on “Comprehensive oral health in special children”, on 7th and 8th August, 2015.
- Workshop: ‘Basic Life Support’ in association with American heart association, on 18th December 2015.
- Workshop: ‘Basic Life Support’ in association with American heart association, on 5th December 2016.
Areas of Research Interest:
- Photochemical studies on propolis.
- Laser applied fluoride therapy.
- Interceptive orthodontics.
- Newer treatment modalities in specially able child.
- Comparative evaluation of the color stability of three contemporary restorative materials after exposure to food simulating solutions.
- Remineralisation potential of casienphosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate flouride,hydroxyapatite with flouride and calcium sodium phosphosilicate on demineralized enamel surfaces.
- Comparative evaluation of the antibacterial efficacy of diode laser, sodium hypochlorite and chlorhexidine against enterococcus faecalis in experimentally contaminated root canals.
- Evaluation of erosive potential of acidic and alkaline fruit juices in the oral environment of children aged between 3-6years.
- Comparative evaluation of two novel mechano-rotary Instrumentation techniques in selective dentin Caries removal.
- Comparative volumetric analysis of pre and post canal preparation in primary teeth using three rotary file systems – a cone beam computed tomographic study.
- Comparative evaluation of the fracture resistance of immature root canals of teeth, after filling it with Calcium hydroxide, Biodentine and Bioaggregate- An in-vitro study.
- Comparison of the fracture resistance of reattached incisor tooth fragment with circumferential bevel, notches, grooves and palatal cavity – An in-vitro study.
- Comparative evaluation of antimicrobial efficacy of various intra canal medicaments – An in- vitro study.
- Comparative evaluation of shear bond strength and internal cavity adaptation of SDR, Flowable restorative, filtek bulk fill flowable restorative and filtek bulk fill posterior restorative- An invitro study.
- In vivo evaluation and comparison of pulp response to diode laser in laser assisted fluoride therapy.
- In vitro comparison of the effect of ascorbic acid, lycopene and proanthocynidin on the bond strength between hydrogen peroxide treated fibre post and composite resin core.
- The effects of audio-visual distraction techniques to local anaesthetic technique in anxious pediatric patients of 6-9 years- An in-vivo study.
- Effect of hydration on fracture resistance of reattached fractured fragment on incisor- An in vitro study.
- An in vitro comparative evaluation of colour stability of micro hybrid and nano filled resin composite after exposure to different types of beverages.